Wednesday, January 2, 2013

D.I.M. - Coffee face scrub


*originally posted on 10/16/12 on Workin It (my other blog that I have decided to longer post on)*

(D.I.M. = Do It Myself)*

I've been drinking a lot more coffee these days. Big Daddy always takes coffee to work so he doesn't have to stop and spend the money and of course we all know that work coffee sucks.
Anyway...So yes we drink a lot of coffee now. Throwing out the used coffee grounds seemed like such a waste so I googled what to do with used coffee grounds. Found some great ideas! Then I came across making a face mask and face scrub using the coffee grounds! Boom! Score!!!


So here's the lowdown on coffee when used on your skin:

Coffee grounds still have caffeine in them, and what wakes you up in the morning will also wake up your face. Coffee grounds will give your skin a blast of caffeine to improve circulation of the skin and help promote healthier new skin at the same time. 

For starters, coffee that are grind into fine particles actually remove dead tissues and cells that our bodies need to shed. You cannot keep all that dirt hanging on to your face forever. Coffee may be a good source of anti-oxidants, which will help keep cancer at bay, but it is also antibacterial. This antibacterial property should be useful to stop unwanted growth of other harmful microorganisms. Pores should feel tight and the face, clean by the time you finish.
*source*

This is the "recipe" that I used for the scrub..the simplest of all the ones that I found:

2 tablespoons of coffee grounds
1 tablespoon of olive oil
bowl or container

1. Mix together grounds and oil in container. It will kinda look like mud. 
2. Apply to face and gently scrub using a circular motion. 
3. Completely rinse with water and pat dry.

This is the dry grounds 

And of course, on the face

I actually wanted more of a thicker scrub so I measured out my used, still wet coffee grinds and set them in a bowl to dry out a bit. When I figured it was pretty dry throughout, I then aded the olive oil. Do it however you want. 
I have combo skin that is acne prone and this scrub didn't make my skin feel oily at all. I did have a breakout on my chin, so we'll see exactly how the scrub affected it. Right now it looks good and no longer red. My skin feels tighter too. I waited about 10 minutes before I followed up with my moisturizer. 

If you have oily skin or are hesitant to use olive oil, replace the oil with honey. Same ratio 2:1, or even 3:1. (2 tbsp of grounds was just perfect for me). The honey will definitely make this scrub a lot thicker. Also, I would only do this scrub like 1-2 times a week. I separated my 1 batch into 2 separate batches. I just made mine in a glass container that had a lid so I could cover and store until maybe Saturday. I don't think this will keep for a long time so I don't recommend making a bunch and just letting it sit for a couple weeks. I'm going to keep my container in the fridge until I use it.

I'll be posting a killer coffee face mask recipe in a couple days too so stay tuned :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment