Friday, January 4, 2013

Fitness Friday - New year...now what?

2012 is a thing of the past...it is now 2013. This is the year that you WILL eat better and you WILL workout and get fit. But where the heck do you start?

I read something the other day and I was like yup THAT'S exactly it:

Decide now that quitting is not an option.

Yes, you will fall sometimes, but what you do when you do fall will determine how successful you will be in reaching your goals. Keep trying, and don't stop!

Now with that said and done...oh and P.S. I am so ordering that saying in one of those vinyl saying thingys that you can stick on the wall for the little dudes' room...I think what helps with any fitness and/or lifestyle change is to write what you want (or expect to happen) down.

So you wanna lose weight? Don't stress. Write it down and just do it. Don't worry about how much. All that matters is that you just do it.

With your goals staring up at you, what is your first step? Do you already belong to a gym? Maybe you can get a personal trainer. Do you need to purge the "junk" food and go shopping for healthier choices? Do you want some hand weights? Write all those things down too! All the things you 'need' you might not be able to get right away but write them down and get them when you can. Decide how you will go about getting those things and plan accordingly.

Now what do you do?

With regards to food, I totally suggest meal planning. It was hard for me at first and took a lot of time, but it was all so very worth it. I would start with just planning out your full day of food the day or night before. Once you get used to that, do 3 days at a time, then 5. Next thing you know, it'll be a Sunday or Monday night and you are meal planning a full week. And don't just do 3 meals. Include snacks and drinks too.

If meal planning is just way too much, try keeping a food diary. The hardest part of a food diary is remembering to write in it. I use a cute hello kitty notebook that I carry with me everywhere. Every time I put something in my mouth, yes even a piece of gum, I take out my notebook and write it down. Now you don't have to do it the way I do, but try it...and be honest. If you had a snickers, own that snickers and write it down. You only hurt yourself when you lie. And trust me, once you see everything you're eating on paper, you'll be like WHOA! and want to make good choices.

Now working out...the good stuff. You don't have to make this elaborate show about it, especially if you're just starting out. Find a DVD, check YouTube. You don't NEED a gym or weights. There are a ton of free "workout programs" out there to get you started, just remember to choose one that is right for you.

You may not be the P90x type (heck, neither am I) so don't just do it because you think it's the only option. Do your research because seriously there are a ton of options out there. Don't want such a rigid workout? Try walking and/or running. Shoot hoops, ride your bike....just get moving! Whether you are a beginner or not, I totally suggest checking out Blogilates. Casey is fun and the workouts are easy and great for anyone, and you don't need any equipment. If you're more advanced, check out TheDailyHiit (also known as bodyrock.tv). Don't be discouraged to try something new.

The most important thing is to make time. Decide when the best time for you to workout is. Decide when is the best time to grocery shop or meal plan. You have to make time. Whether it be 15 minutes or an hour, you have to make time.

If you're ready to take on 2013, link up below and tell us what your fitness plans/goals are for this new year!

And before you leave, don't forget to follow your hosts Frikken Duckie and me, Nicole Johnson and grab our button:

(*So in a perfect world the linky should be showing up here in this spot, but its not...and I have no idea why. Let me work on it, but for now, head on over to Frikken Duckie and link up there*)
*Disclaimer - I am by no means a fitness or nutrition expert. These are my opinions based on my experiences alone. Always consult a doctor with any major life changing activities such as diet and exercise*


3 comments:

  1. keeping a food journal and meal planning were the best things i ever did when i was really serious about keeping in shape.

    too bad that i've strayed a bit from that. i'm hoping to really get back on track this year.

    quitting is not an option! couldn't have said it better myself :)

    cheers to a fitter me and you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicole! Way to keep people motivated! Ill try to link up next week, i havent had the will to jump back onto the healthy lifestyle, too lazy and happy being a fatty...plus it keeps me warm at night...lol.

    Tag youre it!
    http://kisskissbyklee.blogspot.com/2013/01/sock-and-shoe-challenge-tag.html

    xx,
    klee

    kisskissbyklee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinterest, is looking for pictures that motivate me to stay on my healthy path. Everyday I find a picture or a quote that pushes me to choose healthier eating options and to hit the gym, even when I'd rather stay at home and fall asleep. www.gymsource.com

    ReplyDelete